What’s the Difference Between a Powder Room and a Bathroom?
If you are browsing the real estate listings, looking for your dream home, you might have come across the term ‘powder room.’ If you are curious about the difference between a powder room vs. a bathroom, you are in the right place.
What is a ‘Powder Room’?
A powder room is a tiny room with a sink and a toilet, commonly located on the first story of a multi-storied house, and is built in an area that is easily accessible to the guests of the house.
Why is the powder room also called a half bath?
A powder room is often called a half bath, as it has half the amenities of a full bathroom. Unlike a full-fledged bathroom, a powder room has a sink and a toilet. It does not have any provisions for a bath or shower in it.
Why is it called a powder room?
The term ‘powder room’, though not popular nowadays, comes from the 1920s when it was considered proper to refer to bathrooms used by women as powder rooms. The origin of ‘powder room’ was that ladies often used these spaces for quick makeup fixes by applying powder to their noses and faces,
What is a Full Bathroom?
In contrast, a full bathroom usually has a sink, a toilet, and a bathtub with or without an enclosed shower area. Full bathrooms are typically located together with the bedrooms in the private areas of the house. They can also have other facilities, like a linen closet, a double sink, or a makeup station.
Benefits of having a powder room
The benefits of having a powder room are as follows:
• It takes up less space. Powder rooms are often smaller than a regular bathroom and can fit into any floor plan without taking much space;
• It is convenient. While full bathrooms are located near the bedrooms in the private areas of the house, the powder room is built on the first story of a multi-story house and is easily accessible to the guests;
• It can increase property value. A powder room can make your house look more attractive to the potential buyer if you consider selling it in the future.
Ideas for decorating a powder room
The powder room usually becomes the focal point of the guests as they venture in to freshen up. Decorating the powder room can surely earn you some points for having the most stylish home in the neighborhood.
Here are some ideas you can try out while decorating your powder room.
• You can splurge on getting the most expensive materials (tiles, paint, wallpaper, etc.) without burning a hole in your pocket, as the powder room is the smallest room in the house.
• You can experiment with bold wallpaper patterns and eclectic designs while decorating the powder room walls.
• You can get some indoor plants to provide greenery and freshen up the space inside since the powder room is often tucked in a corner and is usually not well ventilated.
• You can splurge and get pricier finishes to give the room a regal touch since the powder room has fewer fixtures than a regular bathroom. Also, you do not have to match the decor with the rest of your house.
With a bit of creativity and tons of imagination, you can transform your tiny powder room into a luxurious haven for your guests in no time.