Deck vs. Patio: What’s the Difference?
If you like to spend time outdoors without leaving the comforts of your home, investing in a deck or patio is a great idea.
While both are built outdoors and serve a similar purpose of allowing you in nature, they have some unique characteristics that can set them apart.
If you are thinking of creating an outdoor living space and are confused between deck vs. patio, keep reading.
What is a patio?
A patio is a paved area built on the ground and can be attached to your home or made detached. It is usually made from stone, concrete, gravel, cut stone, and brick.
What is a deck?
On the other hand, a deck is an outdoor structure, often elevated, usually built from wood or vinyl boards, supported by beams, joists, and posts. A deck is usually attached to the house.
While both a deck and a patio provide a comfortable outdoor living space, they have differences in terms of cost, structure, maintenance, and return on investments.
Backyard Patio Vs Deck: Which one to choose?
Before choosing between a patio and a deck, take a look at their characteristics to make an informed choice.
• Terrains: Patios are built on flat surfaces and can have trees around for added privacy. In case you have uneven ground, you might consider a deck instead. Decks can be elevated structures that are supported by posts. Since a deck can be elevated, it can give a better view of your surroundings.
• Costs: A patio vs deck cost is a consideration for many homeowners. Patios are built on the ground using stones, brick, and gravel and cost less because of the lower material costs. On the other hand, decks usually require railings, stairs, and skirting, often making it a more expensive option than a patio.
• Maintenance: Patios require minimal maintenance as they are built on the ground, and the material used, like stone, concrete, bricks, can handle wear and tear efficiently. Decks are typically built on supports and can require heavy maintenance depending on the material used.
• Durability: Patios are made from highly durable materials that can last for 25 years or more, while the durability of the decks depends on the type of material used. Decks are commonly made from pressure-treated lumber and can last 10-15 years with regular care and maintenance. Wood decks are high maintenance and must be repainted, and power washed every few years. However, decks can be made out of alternative materials, like composite.
• Return on Investment: While adding a patio or deck improves your house’s resale value in the future, the return on a wooden deck tends to be higher.
• Permit requirements: A deck requires permits from your local building authorities. They are built as a structure attached to your main house and must conform to weight restrictions. A patio is built on the ground and does not require any permits.
Now that you understand the difference between deck and patio, it’s time to get started planning your perfect outdoor living space. Connect with us to discuss your ideas and plans for your perfect backyard oasis.